The motherboard is the main printed circuit board (PCB) of a computer on which other modular parts such as the CPU, RAM, graphics card, hard disks, etc are installed. It acts as the platform on which various expansion slots are available to install other devices / interfaces.
It is responsible to distribute power to various components of the computer. It coordinates various tools of the computer and maintains an interface among them. In this article we will be covering up the best motherboards for i5-9400F that have been proven as the best-suited for the notable Intel Core processor.
Top Reviewed Products of This Year
1. ASRock B365M HDV
ASRock B36M HDV motherboard is the perfect option for I5 9400F since it is quite budget-friendly. Multiple graphics cards are not required for its build as it comes with a single full-length PCIe slot and two PCIe x1 slots for expansion cards.
The posterior side of this motherboard contains some USB3 and USB 2.0 ports. These motherboards don’t come with extra features and utility software; instead, they provide the best value products for quite an affordable price.
- It contains 6 SATA slots and for high-speed NVMe drives, it has an M.2 slot that braces transfer speed up to 64 GBPS
- uses high-density fibre in its motherboards to stave off the boards from humidity.
- The audio and network controllers on this motherboard are from Realtek; they are reasonably priced and don’t affect the cost of a budget gaming motherboard and get their job done without any sweat.
- The two DIMMs on it allows the users to instate memory up to 32 GB.
2. MSI Z390-A Pro – Best Z390 Motherboard for I5 9400F
With a budget processor like Intel Core i5 9400F, we would not recommend getting some expensive Z series motherboards as they are not worth considering unless you have some unlocked CPU. Entry-Level Z390 motherboards are good to consider as they allow you to run the processor at its boost clock at a reasonable price.
The overall aesthetics of this motherboard are straightforward. The MSI Z390-A ProSeries is compatible with both AMD Crossfire and Nvidia SLI and supports multiple graphics cards, while the top one PCIe full-length slot has Steel Armor for the latest RTX graphics cards.
- The ProSeries motherboard has a black PCB with Coffee colored accent on it, while there is some grey circuit printed on it too.
- The memory slots on this motherboard accept 128 GB of DDR4 memory across four slots, and it supports memory overclocking up to 4600 MHz.
- The features on this motherboard are way better than any B365 as it offers two M.2 slots where both lack the heat spreader and six SATA3 slots.
- The rear panel has a couple of ports, including the USB 3.1 Gen2 10GBPS Type-A and Type-C ports. Also, there are audio, Ethernet, and other ports.
3. GIGABYTE B365M DS3H – Best Mid-Range Motherboard for I5 9400F
GIGABYTE motherboard’s overall specifications are almost similar to the previous one, but what makes it different is the presence of four DIMMs slots in it. You can install memory up to 64 GB on this motherboard at a clock speed of 2666 MHz. The memory support of this board is far better than any other entry-level or budget model in the market, which drags the users towards it.
- One of the great features you will see in most of the Gigabyte motherboards is the Dual BIOS, so in case you accidentally corrupt the BIOS, you can recover it with the other one.
- We all know a power cut while updating the BIOS can corrupt the previous one, and then the motherboard needs to go to the factory to work again. Still, with Gigabyte motherboards, the case becomes different.
- A single M.2 slot fulfills the storage needs for NVMe SSDs, and six SATA slots, and all of them are top angled
- For connectivity, there are two USB 3.1 Gen1 ports for the front panel and four Type-A ports on the rear IO panel.
- It has high-speed Ethernet and excellent quality audio controllers and ports.
4. ASROCK MB B365 PRO4 – Best Quality Motherboard for I5 9400F
Another great ATX motherboard is the ASROCK MB B365 PRO4. Though it is mostly similar to the previous one in features, it is a little straightforward in looks, and for this reason, you can save your money for purchasing other components. ASROCK MB B365 PRO4 has all of the features you need for your gaming build, and it’s another best motherboard for i5 9400f.
- This motherboard has four RAM slots in which you can install memory up to 64 GB clocked at 2666 MHz.
- The most fascinating thing about this motherboard is the connectivity options as it has eight USB 3.1 Gen1 ports from which two are for front panels, and the rest are for rear IO panel, including the Type-A and Type-C ports.
- It has a nine phase power design VRM, which has an extended heat sink over it and gives a great performance in overclocking.
- There are two PCIe x16 slots with Steel Armor on the primary slot, which gives support to big graphics cards, and you can install multiple AMD or Nvidia graphics cards on this board.
- For storage, there are six SATA3 slots and two M.2 slots for high-speed NVMe drives and one for Wi-Fi modules, as this board doesn’t have any integrated Wi-Fi controller.
5. ASRock B365 Phantom Gaming 4
ASRock B365 Phantom Gaming 4 motherboard is expensive as compared to the previously mentioned motherboards yet it is still affordable. If you prefer design and performance at the same place, you can choose this for your gaming build. If you consider buying some premium chipset boards like Z370 or Z390, they offer up to 128 GB and support ICing.
This motherboard’s connectivity and storage options are much better than what we’ve seen before. The audio and network controllers on this motherboard are from Realtek, and they are slightly expensive, which affects the overall price of the board, but they do their job perfectly. Overall, it’s the best motherboard for i5 9400F that you can consider buying in 2022 and beyond.
- The VRM section of this motherboard has eight-phase power design voltage regulators, which give smooth power delivery to the CPU.
- The black and red colored PCB with RGB lights give appealing looks and make this motherboard a little more premium.
- There are four DIMMs on the board, which allow you to install 64 GB of memory.
- It contains plenty of USB3 ports with a data transfer rate of 5 GBPS, including USB Type-A and Type-C ports.
- The storage options on it are better than other low-priced B365 boards as it has six SATA3 slots and two M.2 slots with an additional key slot for Wi-Fi modules. In addition, both of the M.2 slots have dedicated heatsinks for them.
- There are six SATA slots on this board for storage, and there are two M.2 slots for NVMe SSDs and one for Wi-Fi modules.
6. ASRock Z390 PRO4
There is another great Z390 chipset motherboard which is slightly cheaper than the previous one, although it offers the same features. This motherboard’s looks are pretty straightforward, but the black and grey color combination looks attractive, especially in RGB builds.
You can pair this motherboard with Intel i5 9400f out of the box while some high-end processors might need a BIOS update. This motherboard’s goodness starts with the ten phase design voltage regulators, which can easily overclock any unlocked processor, and you can get a performance boost with it.
- This motherboard is best because it allows you to run your processor at 4.3 GHz turbo boost speed.
- This motherboard has more slots and ports than all motherboards mentioned above, so it provides a better storage and connectivity interface. Simply, it’s a great alternative to the Msi Z390-A Pro.
- The four DIMMs of this motherboard accept 128 GB memory at base clock speed while you can install 4300+ overclocked modules too.
- For graphics cards, it has two PCIe x16 slots, and it supports AMD Crossfire technology.
- The rear panel of this motherboard has great connectivity options. It has two USB 3.1 Gen2 10GBPS ports, two USB 3.1 Gen1 5GBPS ports on the rear side and two USB 2.0, including Type-A and Type-C ports.
- This motherboard’s storage interface is also impressive as it has six SATA slots for storage drives, two M.2 slots for NVMe high-speed SSDs and one M.2 for Wi-Fi module.
7. MSI H310M Pro-VDH Plus – Best Cheapest Motherboard for I5 9400F
Low-priced processor with an entry-level motherboard, undoubtedly is the most desired combo for those who don’t want to spend much on motherboard particularly.
MSI H310M Pro-VDH Plus comes with all of the required features that a gaming machine must possess and this micro-ATX motherboard performs well with Intel 9th generation processors.
For your knowledge, H310 is the most affordable chipset among the three. The best thing about this motherboard is about installing the Intel i5 9400f processor on it since we don’t have to mess with BIOS updates.
Those users who don’t want to hit the max turbo with this processor and don’t want to spend much money on the motherboard will find it an excellent option to consider
- The PCB of this motherboard has a coffee color with some grey and black circuit printed on it.
- The power to the processor is provided through six-phase voltage regulators configured in 4+2 mode and fed by a single 8-Pin 12V power connector.
- It contains two DIMMs slots that accept 32 GB of memory at base clock speed.
- You can install a single, dual-slot graphics card on this motherboard as it has one PCIe x16 slot and two PCIe x1 slots for expansion cards.
8. Gigabyte H310M A 2.0.
Previously we’ve reviewed a budget-friendly motherboard for i5 9400f, but if you are looking for the exact thing with all the missing features fulfilled, we’ve got the Gigabyte H310M A 2.0. Both of these motherboards are fair to consider because they don’t limit the performance, that too at this price.
Both of these motherboards are entry-level, but this one is one step ahead. Hence when it comes to the best value in an entry-level motherboard, we would say Gigabyte H310M is the foremost choice.
- It has four SATA ports and one M.2 slot which is rarely available in entry-level boards.
- There are a couple of USB 3.1 Gen1 ports but the thing that makes it different from their entry-level motherboards are the presence of USB Type-C ports on the I/O panel.
- The PCB of this motherboard is colored in black, and it has some white diagonal lines on it that look good.
- Gigabyte H310M A 2.0 doesn’t have RGB lights integrated but has an RGB header which you can use to control RGB lights in your build.
- The two DIMMs of this board allow you to install memory up to 32 GB at 2333 MHz.
- It has four Phase Design voltage regulators
- There are two PCIe x1 and one PCIe x16 expansion slot on this motherboard, and you can install any AMD or Nvidia graphics card on it.
Choosing a wrong motherboard may damage your CPU, slow down your system, or may land you with a variety of freezes and glitches. To avoid these drawbacks, we have provided you with this buyer’s guide so that you can select an excellent motherboard for your PC that can maximize the proficiency of critical parts and you can enjoy a smooth and hassle-free gaming experience.
Chipset is the main deciding factor for compatibility in a motherboard. CPU, RAM, and PCI Express Lane support are the most salient features to consider when selecting a chipset. As mentioned earlier, Core i5-9400F is supported by H310, B365, Z390, and Z370 motherboard chipset.
The H310 motherboards are usually the cheapest, and you can purchase a motherboard with this chipset if you want a working computer based on a 9th-generation processor.
If you desire better features, at least consider purchasing a B365 or H370 chipset. For those who want the best features and may later upgrade to Core i7 processor, Z390 motherboards are the best-suited.
Design and looks
The design of a motherboard highly affects the stability and performance of your PC. Most modern motherboards come with extensive RGB lighting, beautiful heatsinks and I/O covers.
The form-factor of a motherboard is also an important factor to consider while shopping since there can be compatibility issues if you own a mid-tower/ smaller case. For those with a full-tower case, you can go with any form factor since full-tower motherboards can host almost any type of motherboard.
I/O connectivity, ports, and slots
One of the most important things that matter when it comes to same-chipset motherboards is the number of slots and ports it provides. Good-quality motherboards tend to provide a higher number of USB 3.2 Gen 2 ports, LAN ports, SATA ports, etc.
It’s needless to say that everything is easier with the right equipment, and the same can certainly be asserted to PC gaming. It’s quite easier to finish and beat a game if your PC is running at top speed, without lagging and glitches.
When you’re building a PC designed to support gaming activities, the reliability of your motherboard matters the most. So, in order to acquire this advantage, the correct choice of motherboard is a critical decision.
We hope this article clears all your doubts regarding the best-suited motherboard for Intel Core i5-9400F processor and we expect it will help you in choosing a motherboard that stands up to the test.
What is the fundamental difference between the h310 and b365 chipset?
The H310 chipset provides 6 x PCH PCI-E lanes whereas the B365 chipset provides 14 x PCH PCI-E lanes. The number of I/O lanes is higher on the B365 chipset that provides 30 lanes against 14, as found in the H310 chipset. Another advantage of the H310 chipset is also that it supports wireless AC, so you won’t have to buy an aftermarket network card if you want WiFi in your system.
Are VRAMs of h310 and b365 chipset good enough for a processor like core i5-9400f?
As i5-9400F is a non-K variant, it is not an overclockable processor, that is why its power requirements are not so high. In fact, even the lowest-end H310 motherboard can run this processor, so you don’t need to think about the VRM of these motherboards at all.
Can we upgrade to the latest-generation processors with these motherboards?
Intel Core i5-9400F uses an LGA-1151 socket, on the other hand, the 10th and 11th-generation processors use an LGA-1200 socket. This makes the 9th-generation motherboards incompatible with the latest processors. However, if you want to improve the performance of your system, you can still upgrade to Core i7 or Core i9 processors, namely i7-9700K and i9-9900K, which are top-rated processors.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like: