Home theatres are usually perceived as luxury items. But they don’t have to be if they come within your budget. Home theaters allow you to transform your house into an entertainment hub. You can enjoy new and your favorite movies right from your home with a theater-like feel.
Most people assume that projectors below $1000 are not worthy. Yet, there are wonderful options available for the best home theater projector under $500.
If you have been scratching your heads not knowing which one to choose, maybe this article throws light on the right path. Jump into the article without any further ado.
Top Budget Picks
Although affordability is one important factor, you should also take care of various other things. DBPOWER, however, is exceptional when it comes to affordable projects. It is great to note that DBPOWER provides a versatile projector for $300. There are very few projectors available in this price range, especially at this premium quality.
DBPOWER can support all devices and project the visuals in a crystal clear image. It can be used to watch movies, give presentations, and stream live content right from your mobile. Hence, it is comprehensively capable of giving you a premium experience. As DBPOWER includes inbuilt speakers, you don’t even have to invest in additional speakers for a good volume experience.
DBPOWER comes with 1,00,000 hours of lamp life and three years warranty. It surely is a blockbuster offer within this price range. It even supports USB drives. Hence, you can connect and enjoy your video content from saved in your USB too.
- DBPOWER projects with a screen size of about 300 inches even from a distance of 3.3 meters.
- The resolution of the picture is 1080p, which is considered a high resolution.
- DBPOWER comes with a remote control so that you don’t have to control the projector manually.
- DBPOWER can be adjusted or positioned as you like. It supports wall mounting, ceiling mounting, and even tripod mounting.
2. Xiaomi Mi
Within the price band range of zero to $500 dollars, Xiaomi is on a little pricier side. However, Xiaomi is one brand that doesn’t need an introduction because its reputation speaks for itself. Also, it still falls under $500. Hence, it is a win-win situation for the buyer.
It is well-designed, appealing, classy, and sophisticated in looks. Also, it doesn’t fall behind any other high price or quality projectors. Xiaomi is always on the higher quality side. Xiaomi can be operated on Android TV too. Hence, it is easy to both setup and download.
- The resolution of the Xiaomi mi is as high as 1080p, which is equal to any other sophisticated and expensive projector.
- The screen size of the projector extends up to 120 inches.
- The brightness of this projector is 500 lumens, which is considered a high-quality brightness.
- The design of the projector is very sleek. Hence, you can even carry it around to set it up somewhere else, as it is weightless.
Epson is another superior brand in the world of gadgets and technology. You don’t have to be doubtful anymore if you are going with Epson. It is also one of the best brands. Brands like Xiaomi and Epson usually come at higher prices. Although it is a bit on the heavier side, it is portable.
Epson too supports multiple devices and is compatible with almost any device. It can be mounted on either walls or ceilings. The projector also supports a tripod. Hence, you can carry it somewhere, if ever you want to.
Epson has a wide range of projectors in different modules, versions, and types. You can choose any one among the ones available in this model type. It comes with a 1-year warranty. You can also replace it if there are any damages within one year. The brand replaces the entire unit within this one year.
- The brightness of the Epson projector is 3600 lumens, both in color and white brightness. Hence, it is the best and highest brightness offered by any projector within this price range.
- It comes with over 1 year of warranty, and with complete unit replacement, in case there are any damages.
- The dynamic contrast ratio of Epson is 15000:1, which provides clear and crisp images on the screen.
- Epson projector can project the screen from even 1.44 meters of distance with clear image quality.
WiMiUS is another reliable brand with respect to projectors. If you are looking for superior technical features and the latest WiFi technology, WiMiUS is the best choice. WiFi technology projectors usually don’t come below the price range of $500. But, WiMiUS is what you need. It is the best combination where quality meets affordability.
It also supports Bluetooth connections. Hence, you can get rid of all the wired connections with this WiFi and Bluetooth-compatible projector. It can be used for both entertainment and educational purposes. WiMiUS comes with a warranty of 4 years. There are so many other features of WiMiUS that are wonderful for a projector in this price range.
- The resolution of WiMiUS is one of the best and top quality as compared to all the other brands in this price range. The resolution of this projector is 1920*1820p. This resolution is not present in other projectors of this budget range.
- The image contrast ratio of 12000:1 is also considered the premium quality that provides clear and crisp image quality.
- No other projector has the features that WiMiUS has. It is dustproof. Hence, you don’t have to spend much time and money on its maintenance.
- This projector has a 5G WiFi chip. This feature is unique to almost all projectors.
- Unlike other brands of projectors, WiMiUS can connect with 2 smartphones at the same time.
- It is also compatible with almost all android devices and other digital gadgets.
5. Full HD
Full HD projector is exactly what the name suggests. It provides one of the best image resolutions in this price range. With an already excellent image resolution of about 1920 * 1080p, Full HD supports 4K.
With excellent image quality, Full HD is currently one of the best projectors available in the market. Full HD projector has an excellent contrast ratio. Hence, it provides superior image quality even for the darkest scenes. The image quality is so rich that even the smallest details are clearly visible.
The aspect ratio of the widescreen Full HD projector is 16:9. The projector also has a 50000 LED light. Hence, it works with the same brightness as new and doesn’t need replacement for at least five years. The brightness of the projector is about 7000 lumens, which is excellent for both indoors and outdoors as it is considered the perfect ambient light for both purposes.
The image size of the screen is also larger as compared to other projectors in this price range. It also has zoom-in and zoom-out features to provide the watcher with an amazing watching experience.
Full HD projector has the feature to support WiFi connection too. Hence, you can enjoy a wireless hassle-free watching experience. The signal strength is pretty good. Thus, it doesn’t drop the signal mid-way while you’re watching. It has dual WiFi capability with faster and reliable connectivity supporting features.
- The image resolution of Full HD is 1920 * 1080p, which is the high-resolution image quality.
- It also supports 4K image, which means Full HD pro offers superior image quality, such as a theatre-like experience.
- The image aspect ratio in the widescreen of Full HD is 16:9.
- The contrast ratio of 10000:1. Hence, it offers premium image quality even for dark scenes.
- The screen size of Full HD is 200 inches. It is considered best as compared to a cheap 60-inches LED screen TV at home.
- With dual WiFi supporting capability, Full HD allows screen mirroring from your mobile phone. Very few projectors have this feature. Hence, it is a great steal at this price.
6. KODAK Luma
Kodak Luma is another best option for superior quality brightness. It is priced at $299 currently. This is considered one of the least affordable price ranges. $500 is already affordable for projectors. Kodak is even lesser for this price range. But it doesn’t compromise on the technical features and user experience it offers. It is sleek, portable, classy in look, lightweight, and stylish.
Video projectors are the classic way to enjoy video content, and Kodak Luma makes your experience completely worth it. With Kodak Luma, you can experience a cinematic feel right at your home. It supports screen mirroring, Bluetooth, USB, and even WiFi. Hence, you can eliminate the wired connections and enjoy a hassle-free wireless experience.
Kodak Luma also has a feature for remote control and mobile control as well. Hence, you can experience seamless internet browsing and even play games on a bigger screen with mirroring. Kodak Luma is the best option for both entertainment and professional purposes. It has 16.7 million colors. Thus, you can enjoy vibrant image quality with a rich experience.
- Kodak Luma allows you to use the iOS and Android interface right on the projector. You can download apps, access them, use the internet, browse through different platforms, and enjoy online streaming services too.
- It also supports games. Hence, you can screencast your games to enjoy the gaming experience on bigger screens.
- The display size of the screen is as massive as 150 inches.
- Kodak Luma is compatible with different types of devices. You can also utilize your smartphone as a remote and control your projector with the help of your mobile.
- It has a built-in speaker with high audio quality.
- With the help of the Kodak Luma app, you can even access it as a wireless device.
If you are looking for a lightweight option to move around easily, Brookstone is your ideal choice. It is portable and classy in design. It displays bright colors very vibrantly. Hence, you can enjoy superior image quality. It supports wall-mounting, surface-mounting, and tripod-mounting as well.
If you are looking for something that supports different purposes like entertainment, professional, educational, and gaming, Brookstone is a perfect fit. With 3840 * 2160p image resolution, Brookstone is by far the top-notch quality projector in terms of image quality in this price range. The brightness of this projector is 2200 lumens. The screen size of the Brookstone projector is 120 inches.
It has different HDMI units like Satellite TV, PS, and Xbox. Brookstone has in-built 5W speakers that provide deeper bass audio quality. Coming to interface and using, it is extremely easy to use. You can use it for watching movies and Tv shows. Or for presentations as well. If you are a game lover, there is no other better option for you than Brookstone.
- It is just 1.2 pounds. Hence, it is extremely lightweight and can be moved around easily.
- It supports wireless, Bluetooth, and USB connections too.
- The display size of this projector is 80 inches.
- It also has a battery with 3800 mAh that runs for hours easily.
- It also has in-built speakers for superior audio quality.
Yaber occupies the top spot in your list of ideal projectors. Not just in cost but in various other aspects. The contrast ratio of this projector is 10000:1, which is one of the best contrast ratio options to consider for projectors.
Although the brightness of this projector is just 7200 lumens, its price ranges between $200 – $300. Hence, it all seems justified enough at the end of the day.
With decent brightness and contrast ratio, the image quality just lights your room up so that you don’t need additional light. BenQ offers a full HD resolution of 1080p and supports 4k Ultra HD image quality.
It has different connection ports for USB, additional audio, Xbox, Pendrive, headphones, and other devices. However, it is not limited to these devices alone. You can connect to other devices as well.
- It supports ceiling mounting.
- BenQ supports and is compatible with different smart devices.
- The brightness of this project is 8500 lumens.
- It has the most expansive screen size range extending from 45 inches to 300 inches.
- BenQ comes with a maximum of three years warranty.
- It also comes with lifetime management and professional support. So, you can enjoy services directly from the brand itself anytime there is a repair or malfunction encountered.
- They also provide three years of technical support for free. Hence, you don’t have to pay anything for the initial three years, in case there are any technical issues encountered.
To buy the best projector within a price range of $500, you need to make sure you meet certain criteria. Ensuring this, you will find the best fit within this price range. The below guidelines help you understand and decide the criteria for choosing the best projector.
Identifying the needs
Not just for the sake of the projector but for any other product, you first need to identify your need for the product. It helps you choose the right fit for all your needs. You can ask yourself some questions like “Why do I need a projector?” “Are you gifting it to someone else?” “Is it for educational purposes for your kids?” Questions like these help you pick an appropriate fit.
You should assess the space available at your place to position or place the projector. Some projectors can be wall-mounted, some others can be ceiling mounted. A few others can even be supported with a tripod. If your house doesn’t support any of these adjustments, it is better to choose one that fits well with your home.
If your room doesn’t support wall mounting, it is better to go with a ceiling mountable projector. In the same way, if both the options are not possible, tripod adjustment can be a better choice if space allows.
For any product, it is extremely important to determine and have a realistic budget in place before finally purchasing it. However, the budget shouldn’t always be the one and only criteria. You can also do a little research with all your requirements to understand the budget range of your product.
This helps you learn about the price ranges and the feature combinations in your desired budget range. You can also conduct online research to see what budget range you can expect your product in.
If you are someone with prior and appropriate knowledge about the technical features of projectors, then there is nothing wrong in inspecting. Technical features include resolution, brightness, screen size, and compatibility of devices that can be connected.
Not all projectors offer a comprehensive range of technical features. But, make sure you tick the majority of your requirements so that you get the value for your money.
The cost-benefit ratio is one of the least focused factors while purchasing commodities, more so for digital gadgets. It is extremely important to assess the cost-benefit ratio to ensure that you are getting more than enough worth you are paying for.
Analyze the cost and the features that the projector or the company is providing you. This gives you a rough idea of the quality that the company is giving you. There are always numerous options and alternatives available in the market. Hence, you can compare and evaluate which company is providing the best cost-benefit ratio and choose that one.
The most common mistake committed by the majority of consumers is that they just see one product and go with it. There is no point in going with the first product.
Because you cannot assess the cost-benefit ratio and you probably won’t get the best product this way. Hence, always compare different products in your price range to see which company is providing maximum value for your investment.
Hence, before taking a final call, inquire properly, have a thorough understanding of the market dynamics, compare and see where you are getting maximum value.
It is indeed difficult to choose the best home theater projector under $500 with all the right technical features. It becomes even more difficult without prior and adequate knowledge about the features.
That is why it is important to consider all the points well before you sit down to filter out the options. Now that you have this article as a knowledgeable guide, you will learn what are the factors to be considered while choosing the right projector for your home.
As long as the projector has the right brightness, image and audio quality, brightness, and contrast ratio, the cost doesn’t matter. It, thus, becomes easier for you to pick the right and superior quality projector within just $500.
What factors are to be considered while buying a projector?
There are several technical factors that you need to consider while purchasing a projector, like image resolution quality, contrast ratio, aspect ratio, audio quality, image size, and throw-away distance. These factors are the most essential to ensure that you get a premium quality projector.
What is meant by a throw-away distance with regards to projectors?
Throw away distance defines the distance between the projector and the screen being projected on the surface. This distance that the projector basically projects the image onto the surface is called the throw-away distance.
How important is image resolution for projectors?
Image resolution falls under the technical features of the projectors. It is indeed important to find a projector with high resolution to enjoy a pleasant image or video experience.
Projectors with lesser image resolution do not satisfy your watching experience. Hence, the image resolution should be your top priority while buying a projector.
Here are some other interesting models that you might like: